Javascript is vital for the advanced features in this website such as Property Search. Please enable or upgrade your browser

Older Properties

If you want to buy an older property, we'd strongly advise having a building survey first. An RICS member will find out if there are any hidden structural problems, and could help you avoid spending a small fortune to fix things at a later date.

When you buy an older property for renovation, you need to check building regulations carefully - your RICS member can help ensure this is done accurately and professional

Some major building repairs may also need permission from your local authority building regulations department.

Before you buy a property to renovate, work out the total cost of repairs on top of the initial outlay - and decide whether the property is still worth renovating.

Listed buildings

If the property is a listed building, or in a conservation area, any work you do on it may be restricted, and have to follow certain guidelines.

The scope for any structural change could be extremely limited and you'll need to discuss any proposals with your local planning authority.

You may also have to get consent from English Heritage before work can begin.